Date: July 18-21, 2013 VOLUNTEER NOW!
Project Description: Last summer our contractor restored the exterior beauty of the historic Boekeloo Cabin/Boekelodge built as a homestead cabin in the late 1800s. Stop by to see his beautiful work! Prior work took place in 2005 and 2008. This summer we’ll be working on the windows, chimney, gables and interior, as well as repairing the gate, boardwalk and privy.
Some of the tasks:
- Paint Boekelodge sign
- Repair fence
- Repair handrail over culvert
- Re-attach gutter over basement access
- Repair Privy
- Interior panels & trim work
- Windows: security latches, glazing and paint.
- South double window sill plate needs to be properly extended to prevent leaking
- Possible roof replacement. Rafter tails would be extended to protect the log corners and move the drip line further away from the building.
- Chimney (vestigial) tuck pointing and flashing to the new roof. Screened cap or total closure.
- South gable coating
- South deck(in particular) and boardwalks repair and re-fasten w/ screw
- Repair gate
Funding: Volunteers Needed: 8
Skills: Carpentry, window glazing
Directions: M-22 south of Empire to Boekeloo Road – turn right down 2-track
What to Bring: Lunch, waterbottle and water, gloves, closed toed shoes, hammer; supervisors will provide major tools;